Person behind bars icon

Legal Separation

For some people, the decision to divorce is easier said than done. Sometimes people are unsure about a divorce, but need separation and flexibility to figure out whether or not reconciliation is in the cards. For other people, there is no question that a divorce is needed but considerations around finances, health or religion make a divorce problematic. A legal separation can provide the legal framework to secure residential time with children, support, insurance coverage and property ownership while a couple negotiates the act of separation, but in doing so not seek to terminate the marriage.

How to file for legal separation in Washington State:

The process for a legal separation is very much like a divorce in that it is commenced with filing a petition and summons. All that’s required of you is that you are a resident of Washington and you file in the Superior Court of your county of your residence or in the residence of your spouse if they live reside in a different county. Thereafter, if the parties are in agreement with the legal separation, a separation contract defining the specific terms of the separation is typically drafted and filed with the Court. Where the parties are not in agreement, a party can still seek temporary orders from the Court to address specific needs just as would be done in a regular divorce action.

What if we want to end the separation and live together again?

As long as both people agree to reconcile, a court can approve a motion to withdraw, dismiss or vacate any petition or orders relating to the legal separation.

What if we decide to divorce later?

A spouse can convert the legal separation order into a final divorce order following a period of time. Keep in mind that both spouses do not have to agree to convert a legal separation to a divorce as long as the other spouse is legally notified.

How do we handle child arrangements?

A Legal Separation may be one way to assist children in the adjustment to their parent’s failed marriage. A legal separation and subsequent agreement can provide for:

Contact Chris R. Sundstrom Law Firm, a Washington Legal separation Law Firm

Over 25 years of experience.

If you would like to obtain a legal separation, or if you are already involved in a family law dispute, it is important to seek legal counsel experience with family court to ensure that your rights and interests are fully protected.

To schedule a consultation to discuss your family law case, contact our experienced Vancouver family law attorneys at Chris R. Sundstrom Law Firm, PLLC. After that initial consultation, we will thoroughly review your case and expectations. You can rely on our experience to provide solid legal counsel and guidance for you and your family.

Not just another Vancouver, WA attorney.
I'm YOUR attorney.

Washington State Bar Associates
Clark County Bar Association
Clark County Superior Court
Clark County Volunteer Lawyers Program